We’re stoked to be working with you to get you into a brand new business website. We work hard to make our clients happy so just sing out if there’s anything we can do or if you have any questions (even if you think it might be a stupid question!).
This guide has been developed to help you take care of the main things to do with looking after your PogoStick website.
Staying up-to-date / backups
Most of the websites we build are WordPress websites. From time to time both WordPress and plugin developers issue updates, releasing new features or security patches. It makes good sense to keep WordPress and your plugins up-to-date (you can update themes only if you are sure they have not been customised, but in most cases they don’t need to be updated).
As the website owner, you have the responsibility to keep your website up-to-date and do backups (of course we’re always around to help if you get stuck). The good news updating WordPress is easy and only takes a few minutes. Please note your website will go offline while it’s updating so you may want to do it after hours.
How do I update WordPress?
- Login to your WordPress website dashboard (e.g. http://yourwebsite.co.nz/wp-admin/update-core.php) – Dashboard > Updates
- If there is an update for WordPress it will show here; click to update (1). Follow the prompts. It will normally only take a few seconds to download and install the update.
- Plugins with updates will also be listed here, select all or choose the plugins you want to update (2).
- Themes do not generally need to be updated.
Please note updates are made by website owners at their own risk. We do not offer any warranty on updates provided by WordPress or plugin developers and fixes may be chargeable time. Prior to updating you might want to take a backup (see next question).
How do I backup my WordPress website?
There are several ways to backup your website but this method is generally the quickest and easiest way. If it doesn’t work or you want to use a different method, get in touch.
- Log in to your WordPress website. Go to Plugins > Add new.
- Search for the plugin called All-in-One WP Migration – install and activate.
- Go to the All-in-One WP Migration menu and click Export.
- Choose the File option – the backup file will be created and then be available for download. You can use this file if you need to undo recent changes (or restore your website) – using the Import option.
How do I edit my website?
We will provide you with a username and password, which you will use on your login page (e.g. yourwebsite.co.nz/wp-admin)
Give yourself some time to get familiar with the admin options, have a play and an explore, you can’t go too far wrong! We’re just a quick email away if you need any advice or help. We also provide a full online help manual here >> www.pogostick.co.nz/help
How do I access my email?
If your email is with us (included as part of your hosting service) then you will get the account details which you can use to add to your existing email software e.g. Outlook, Apple Mail etc.
- We recommend adding it to a free Gmail account – How do I do that?
- Please also make sure that emails are not being left on the server – How do I check that?
You can access your email directly using the webmail option – the link will be http://webmail.yourwebsite.co.nz (you will use your email address and password to login).
How do I promote my website?
Great question! It’s important to advertise your website because no one will visit it otherwise. There are many ways to get the word out about your new website and we encourage you to promote it to all your customers and plan to advertise where possible.
Google Ads – This is a very quick and effective way to get in front of your customers. We can help you setup your campaigns, conversion goals, keywords and ads, and avoid the common pitfalls with online advertising. Learn more.
For other good ideas and suggestions please read our blog post discussing tips for new website owners.
How many visitors am I getting?
There are analytics included with your website, and you can access these logging in, then going to the Jetpack menu > Site Stats. It will give you an overview, which you can click into for more detail.
If you’d like Google Analytics, Facebook conversion pixel or Google Ad tags just let us know and we’ll integrate it for free.
If you have any other questions please feel free to contact us – our advice is free and we can provide quotes for any additional work you want done.