Everyone’s looking for that one thing that will be the magic pill to fix all their problems, the silver bullet to turn mountains into molehills and nowhere is that more true than SEM (Search Engine Marketing). It’s no wonder there are so many people out there touting “easy” ways to get ahead in the search engine rankings, guaranteeing the first page of Google (which is easy to do if you’re trying to rank for “blue haired coconut bras” but a lot harder if you’re trying to rank for something that has some commercial value!).
So is this the silver bullet to fix your ranking challenge? Will it shoot you past the competition to sit at the coveted number one position? If it was you would most likely not be reading this here; you would see an ad, promising something along the lines of ‘one weird tip to gain search engine ranking’ – right next to that weight loss ad you see everywhere.
So no it isn’t the panacea you’d love to have but it is something that is so easy and in most cases absolutely free so why wouldn’t you do it?
When it comes to directories there are literally thousands out there. Most are not worth the time, even if they are free. But I’ve rounded up some of the best, particularly for NZ websites, as they have more of a local focus. You don’t have to add your website to all of them but the more of them you submit your site to, the greater the benefit gained.
- NZS.com PR6 Free or $9.95+GST per month for an enhanced listing, which is currently 50% off – great value
- New Zealand.co.nz PR5 free
- Finda PR7 – free (bronze $295) – bonus is submissions get added to UBD (PR7) – you can use anchor text and if you purchase the bronze listing, they will remove the nofollow on the link (boosting the value of the link). Finda also have an agreement with Google for their map data, so this also feeds/gives a significant boost to local listings.
- New Zealand directory PR5 – free with reciprocal (a reciprocal link is where you link from your website to them, which does devalue the directory linking a bit), paid $9.95 to $40
- Zipleaf PR4 – free
- IndexNZ PR5 $US5 submission fee
- Yalwa PR5 free – allows you to insert html links in the description, so you can deep link into your website.
- Website Directory PR5
- nzsearch PR6 free
- Whats on NZ PR6 free with reciprocal link
- Hotfrog PR6 free
- NZ pages PR6 free or $79 for premium listing
- NZ webz PR4 new zealand Australia only – free – (ads on all pages)
- BCLNZ PR4 $30 one off fee – same company as e-toolbox (deep linking allowed)
- Netfinder PR4 free
- Localbiz PR4 premium (with link) now free
- Google Business Places â A must have and itâs free
- Natlib directory PR7 free NZ Government link submission guidelines submit here
These directories will only be relevant for certain businesses:
- Mac business directory PR4 Free
- Great NZ (tourism) PR6 free
- Destination NZ (accommodation) PR6 free
- NZ Horses PR4 – free to paid
- Foodworks PR4 – niche food directory – $100 to $300 PA
Use the list above to make a start on getting your website a bigger online profile and more exposure on the internet. Sure itâs not a cure-all for search engine rankings but every little bit helps!